IRC [Join]: @CloneBot, grew

think

You really should clone up. You're missing out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Feds Raid Russell  (Read 3111 times)
8ob
Old Ass Clone

your numbers: +27/-5

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »

[[ no lurker link viewing ]]
[[ please clone up or clone in ]]
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120203/METRO01/202030402/1409/metro/Feds-raid-Detroit-warehouse-illegal-marijuana-probe

Ljos i Stormi
no longer a mod
Nefarious Family
Old Ass Clone

your numbers: +89/-61

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:25:27 PM »

Well that ought to be good for the future of this fine city.  Good work!  Tongue
crizz
acts like it's craigslist
cloned in the 313
Maximus Clonius Godius

your numbers: +199/-76

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »

should have lite some incense candles
picky
2008 mod of the year
Maximus Clonius Godius

your numbers: +804/-139

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »

I'll just withhold my usual  by now quite old critique that the marriage of the "medical" marijuana industry with the arts, intellectualism and creativity in this town (aka: see Metro Times steep decline since 2008)  is the worst thing that ever happened for truly  independent art and artistic expression, and just say this is shitty that this went down.

Shitty that the cops busted it, but let's ask the deeper question: Was the R.A.C. propped up on drug money? Did the so-called "legitimate" medical marijuana industires bring the heat (as they almost always do...)?

I'd much rather see a vibrant art's scene than a vibrant medical marijuana scene, but in my view, the heat that the latter brings overshadows the former, and this is just another case in point.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:45:49 PM by seymour. » Logged

Brian Eno is the God of this World.
yeah way
cloned in the 313
Maximus Clonius Godius

your numbers: +146/-42

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:44:37 PM »

Meanwhile, the cocaine trade marches on.
picky
2008 mod of the year
Maximus Clonius Godius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »

It's like all the recent party busts...

Anyone who seriously believes the cops and the gang squads are cracking down on venues because of "noise violations" and "possible underage drinking" are seriously deluding themselves about where the real money is...who's paid up on their local police dues, and who isn't...
Ljos i Stormi
no longer a mod
Nefarious Family
Old Ass Clone

your numbers: +89/-61

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »

Steve... you do make valid points in your irritation at the med weed scene, and metro times.  I partially agree with that.  

The Fed is going to continue it's absurd drug war and people who get into the med weed scene are always taking that legal risk.  That does affect the art scene and places like Russell quite negatively.  The hell with common sense arguments about legalizing and taxing weed, and focusing more efforts on drugs that actually cause damage to society.  The near Mad Max situation in Mexico and the new Berlin wall? Great idea there government! Keep up the good work!

Last nights wine fueled sarcasm aside... It's a shame to see a place like Russell be a target for raids.  I am a fan of the place, and it's one of the GOOD things about Detroit.  Sad
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:55:12 AM by Ljos i Stormi » Logged
crizz
acts like it's craigslist
cloned in the 313
Maximus Clonius Godius

your numbers: +199/-76

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 04:31:13 PM »

russell....shit was ok maybe 35 years ago.... it's more of a haven for cracked out wanna be starving artists that think their shit is the hot new ish on the street...... might be a handful of people in there that have talent...
ragazza di albero
love life
cloned in the 313
Maximus Clonius Godius

your numbers: +591/-53

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »

election year!    Cheesy

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
picky
2008 mod of the year
Maximus Clonius Godius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »

Steve... you do make valid points in your irritation at the med weed scene, and metro times.  I partially agree with that.  

The Fed is going to continue it's absurd drug war and people who get into the med weed scene are always taking that legal risk.  That does affect the art scene and places like Russell quite negatively.  The hell with common sense arguments about legalizing and taxing weed, and focusing more efforts on drugs that actually cause damage to society.  The near Mad Max situation in Mexico and the new Berlin wall? Great idea there government! Keep up the good work!

Last nights wine fueled sarcasm aside... It's a shame to see a place like Russell be a target for raids.  I am a fan of the place, and it's one of the GOOD things about Detroit.  Sad

Exactly.

It was a good place, much like alot of the people involved with Metro Times, progressive culture, and art, are all good human beings and necessary for a vibrant artscene in this city and state. The tragedy is that...and I know this is a minority view, and iconoclastic...it's a shame to see all this tore down and closed over not just a misguided drug war...but also a misguided association with a quasi-legal drug scene that has always stood on such ambigous legal ground that it can very well be said to stand on no ground at all.

Let's put it another way if we accept that marijuana is medicine: how many other modern art complexes do we know that also sideline in chiropractic? How many museums and marketplaces also dispense prescription painkillers?

None.

I dunno, it's situations like this that kill the legitimacy of both the medmarjuana movement and legitimacy of progressive art combines.

it's lose lose.
Rezzkatt
Baby Clone

your numbers: +31/-17

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 11:00:38 PM »

Exactly.

It was a good place, much like alot of the people involved with Metro Times, progressive culture, and art, are all good human beings and necessary for a vibrant artscene in this city and state. The tragedy is that...and I know this is a minority view, and iconoclastic...it's a shame to see all this tore down and closed over not just a misguided drug war...but also a misguided association with a quasi-legal drug scene that has always stood on such ambigous legal ground that it can very well be said to stand on no ground at all.

Let's put it another way if we accept that marijuana is medicine: how many other modern art complexes do we know that also sideline in chiropractic? How many museums and marketplaces also dispense prescription painkillers?

None.

I dunno, it's situations like this that kill the legitimacy of both the medmarjuana movement and legitimacy of progressive art combines.

it's lose lose.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the russel just a pay to lease complex?  As in, pay-your-rent-and-do-whatever-the-hell-you-want type spot?  That is to say that while there happen to be a bunch of artists working out of their leased spots, others are doing things like storage for there coin collections, etc?  I didn't understand the russel to be an artist co-op, such that one would have to apply with portfolio to get in.  Based on that assumption I'm not sure I see how a drug bust there has anything to do with the legitimacy of any other tenants business.  I suppose I can see how it might have an affect in the same way the Kwame scandal(s) had/have to do with the how the city is perceived by outsiders.  But other than the name of the spot being tarnished, how does the legitimacy of any artists working out of there have any relation to any other tenant?  Granted, if my assumption about the type leasing is off, then so is my point.  If that's the case, please except my humble Rosanna-rossanna-danna "Nevermind".  However, I thought I read somewhere that there were still warehousing outfits and what not (not art or weed related) operating within the complex, which, I guess is where I came up with my assumption. 

Regardless of all that, I don't see how the legitimacy of med-weed was all that tarnished by this bust.  What mean is, med-weed's legitimacy has always been questionable... just as much as the prohibition of the substance has always been questionable at best.  Hell, the DEA's budget is a fucking joke.  If anything, I think every one of these busts calls into question the legitimacy of the of the various executive drug agencies.  What really makes me wonder is why we don't see more of a social media outcry?  When Ari engineered the Koman/Planned Parenthood debacle the fallout was tremendous.  Why aren't we seeing more of that with regards to the drug war?  I suppose I'm as much at fault as anyone, but given the social media vigilance (oxymoron) on every other fucking issue by pot smoking or at least sympathetic demographic, where's the "like"'s and "share"'s?  I wonder if its some kind of socialized assumption that you can't fight the government...?       
picky
2008 mod of the year
Maximus Clonius Godius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 11:55:01 PM »

Regardless of all that, I don't see how the legitimacy of med-weed was all that tarnished by this bust.  What mean is, med-weed's legitimacy has always been questionable... just as much as the prohibition of the substance has always been questionable at best.  Hell, the DEA's budget is a fucking joke.  If anything, I think every one of these busts calls into question the legitimacy of the of the various executive drug agencies.  What really makes me wonder is why we don't see more of a social media outcry?  When Ari engineered the Koman/Planned Parenthood debacle the fallout was tremendous.  Why aren't we seeing more of that with regards to the drug war?  I suppose I'm as much at fault as anyone, but given the social media vigilance (oxymoron) on every other fucking issue by pot smoking or at least sympathetic demographic, where's the "like"'s and "share"'s?  I wonder if its some kind of socialized assumption that you can't fight the government...?        

You basically hit on a point I've been trying to get at for a long time:

Most (voting) Americans don't smoke weed and could care less about legalizing it. When they see a bust, they don't see an injustice, they see a bunch of stupid hippies or thugs getting busted for being, at best, stupid, and at worst, criminals.

Moreover, anyone (too) loudly trying to defend potusers, growers, and the industry almost always implicates themselves as a fellow traveler anytime they say anything in the media.

If you talk about pot too much in the media, you get labeled a "pothead", and then you get labelled and shelved in the pothead bin and written off ....or raided.

This is why there's never an outcry about these busts ala SOPA or Planned Parenthood, and this is why whenever complete legalization is put up for a vote in any U.S. state, it always fails. Maybe's its 30 years of COPS on teevee, or 75 years of brainwashing, but most Americans probably see most drug use as a social problem, rather than drug BUSTS as  a social injustice.

I'd wager that if medmarj was put up for a RE-vote in 2012, based on all the bad publicity, and the lack of a strong Obama-Youth coat-tail, it would fail in a recall. This policy has been a disaster because it was a poorly written bill with unclear definitions, and the anti-drug people have had a field day with interpreting it to everyone's detriment....but all most Americans probably see is a bunch of fat pot dealers (they always seem to be fat white dudes with health problems...) with alligators in their bathtubs and 200 potplants in their basement.  

This is the point I'm usually always driving at: the weed lobby has more or less destroyed any legitimacy for itself because despite the strong case that there is for legalization and the idea that marijuana is a benign substance...most people probably think deep down (as I do...) that the MedMarj lobby is really just after, most of the time, a way to get high without getting busted. Every time there's one of these busts, it seems like just another nail in the coffee of legitimacy for medical marijuana in Michigan.

This is the microcosm that the weed lobby exists in: it thinks that this issue is a big one in the minds of most voters and public. The sad truth is it isn't.

I'm pro-decriminalization, just not in a way that is immediately apparent. If anything, I'm in favor of the new movement to just drop this hogwash about it "only" being medicine and just de-criminalize, tax, and regulate it as a recreational drug.

But I don't think it's gonna happen for a long, long time. Too much money wrapped up in enforcement and the legal system with the way things are now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:46:31 AM by seymour. » Logged
BigOldFatDawgy
Fetus Clone

your numbers: +0/-0

shred like a dog

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »

wait, russell was cooler 35 years ago? Are you pushing 60 or something? Please tell me what russell was like in the seventies I have no idea. Waiting for stories...

^^
 U
negativesaucer
hatchet doser
cloned in the 313
Maximus Clonius Godius

your numbers: +747/-140

using large expensive telescopes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »

wait, russell was cooler 35 years ago? Are you pushing 60 or something? Please tell me what russell was like in the seventies I have no idea. Waiting for stories...

you're on the outside of an inside joke.

data rapist
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: